The 2016 Candidates Clerihew Contest
What’s A Clerihew?
- What in the world is a Clerihew?
- A verse that’s amusing and probably true,
- For example, a nicely barbed spoof,
- Of some prominent political goof!
That was written like a Clerihew – after Edmund Clerihew Bentley; it is a very brief “poem” made up of just four lines, or two rhyming couplets, AA, BB. You put the candidate’s name at the end of the first line, and make the second line rhyme with it. The next two rhyming lines deliver your point – which is to make the subject of the rhyme a matter of amusement for us all.
No particular rhythm or meter is required, so it doesn’t need to sound like a Limerick. The lines can be of any length and not all the same length.
Because so many of us are fed up with our politics, and we already see what a circus of buffoons – Republicans, obviously – we’re going to endure in the run-up to the 2016 elections. We need some levity to lighten our spirits. So, Clerihews to the rescue! These very brief rhyming witticisms, poking fun at the aforementioned crowd, can evoke in us just the seasoning of wit and distance we need.
- And why direct them at our Candidates?
- Why, as a splash of lemon while they pontificate,
- To cut through their pretense
- And amuse us all at the bigwig’s expense.
Lest we over-focus on the oddities attending our political doings, however, let us agree that we may also write rather positive rhymes, on those rare occasions when this seems warranted.
Here are a couple of examples from a recent book by Paul Ingram:
- Ben Bernanke
- Reached for a hankie.
- He was losing his nerve
- At the Federal Reserve.
- Senator Cruz
- Never bothered to schmooze
- Caught up in the immediacy
- Of his own idiocy.
Send your Clerihews via Comments to groundswell america.com and we will look forward to publishing them here for our readers to enjoy!
By: DeWayne Rail and Denis Carville
Here are some new Clerihews recently submitted:
- An Egomaniac is Trump
- His Mouth is just like his Rump
- Its full of Gas
- And Stinks when it Blasts!
And Another Good One!
Wouldn’t go whorin’
Or cater to fat cats,
Like so many other Democrats.